The history of ALDI
In 1914, Anna Albrecht opened a small food store in the mining town of Essen, Germany, and by 1948, her sons took over the business and expanded to 4 locations.
In 1954, they opened their first self-service store in Essen-Schonnebeck, a first in Germany.
In 1962, “Albrecht Discount” was shortened to “ALDI,” and by 1967 there were more than 200 ALDI South locations.
In 1976, ALDI made its debut in Southeastern Iowa.
ALDI expanded to Great Britain in 1990, Ireland in 1999, Australia in 2001, Slovenia in 2005 and Hungary in 2008
New divisions opened up in South Windsor, Connecticut and Haines City, Florida in 2008, Denton, Texas in 2010 and Jefferson, Georgia in 2011.
Future plans for growth include new divisions in Royal Palm Beach, Florida, Rosenberg, Texas and Moreno Valley, California. Currently, there are over 1,300 U.S. locations, with over 4,000 locations worldwide.